Adding a New Domain
Once SmarterMail has been installed, it's time to start adding domains.
Just a few pieces of information are needed in order to add a domain. Once this information is provided, System Administrators can then adjust any Configuration settings for the domains or they can simply rely on the Domain Defaults that have been set up.
To create a new domain, click the New button within the Domains section. The following custom configuration options will be available:
- Name - The name of the domain. For example, smartermail.com or example.com.
- Hostname - The URL of the mail server (e.g., mail.domain.com) to be returned for an Autodiscover query by a user of that domain. This will also act as the URL for users to log in to the webmail client. SmarterMail will default this to mail.your-domain-name.com based on the Domain Defaults that are pre-configured on a new installation of SmarterMail. However, hostnames can be edited as needed and that default can be set to whatever the System Admininstrator wants it to be.
- Folder - The directory in which all information (XML files, mail statistics,
alias information, etc.) pertaining to the domain is saved. Note: If the directory
does not already exist, it will be created. This directory should be solely dedicated
to SmarterMail. By default, SmarterMail saves domain information to c:\SmarterMail\Domains\.
- Domain Administrator Username - The primary Domain Administrator is responsible for adding and
deleting email accounts and setting specific configurations for the domain. Domain
Administrator accounts also have the ability to send and receive email, manage contacts,
etc., just like a user account. Enter the identifier the Domain Administrator will use to log into SmarterMail. Enter only the username, not the full address. For example, the "jdoe" portion of "firstname.lastname@example.org".
- Domain Administrator Password - Enter the password associated to the Domain Administrator
(c) 2002-2021 SmarterTools Inc.