Team Workspaces File Uploads
|This feature is only available in SmarterMail Enterprise.
Part of having a collaborative workspace is the ability to upload and share files. The Team Workspace organizer has the ability to set the file upload permissions for their workspace. They can allow anyone to upload files, only allow authorized users (people who log in) to upload or limit file uploads to just themselves. However, anyone who particpates in the Team Workspace can download any files that are shared. NOTE: Management for files uploaded in a Team Workspace belongs solely to the workspace organizer, regardless of who has the ability TO upload files. This is to ensure that all files are preserved as part of the workspace at the organizer's discretion. Therefore, the disk space used for workspace uploads also counts towards the total disk space of the organizer.
Setting File Upload Permissions
The Workspace organizer has the ability to set permissions for the types of attendees that can upload shared files. This is done in the Workspace's Settings area on the Details card. There is a File upload permissions dropdown that includes the following permissions:
- Organizer Only - The only person who can upload files to a team workspace is the user who set up the team workspace in the first place.
- Authenticated Users - Attendees who log into the team workspace are able to upload files; guests can not upload.
- Everyone - All attendees are able to upload files as needed.
Uploading and Sharing Files
Once permissions are set, it's time to upload and share some files. A few quick things to note:
- Just as with the File Storage area, whenever possible a thumbnail of the file will be displayed. If a thumbnail can't be displayed, then an icon representing the file type will be displayed.
- Shared files will show the file name and the file size on their respective cards.
- Clicking on the Caret allows attendees to either download or delete each file.
As for actually uploading files, there are a few ways to do this:
- Drag and Drop - You can drag and drop files directly into the list and they will be uploaded to the Workspace and displayed in the Files area. Files uploaded to a Workspace's Group Chat will display a download link in the chat, just as they do in a regular Group Chat, but they'll show up in the Files area as well.
- Upload Button - You can also use the Upload button in the Files area OR in the Workspace's Group Chat area to upload files. Clicking the Upload button will open your File Explorer (or simliar) and allow you to choose a file to upload. The difference is that with the Upload button, you can upload to the Files area OR upload to the chat.
Downloading or Deleting Shared Files
Each file that's shared in a team workspace has its own card. Each card, in turn, has an Actions (...) option in the upper, right corner. Clicking on that gives a participant the ability to download that particular file. In addition, a participant can delete the file, should they choose to.
(c) 2002-2021 SmarterTools Inc.