Because the SmarterStats download contains all of the installation files needed
for any licensing level or edition, upgrading editions or levels is relatively easy.
With a valid license key, companies can easily upgrade from the Professional to Enterprise
edition or increase the number of sites allowed in SmarterStats by simply activating the upgraded license key. For more information,
see the Activating SmarterStats help page.
Before getting started, there are a few things worth noting
- SmarterStats Enterprise users that have installed the remote service on machines other than the Web interface server should update the remote service before updating the main SmarterStats server.
- When upgrading SmarterStats you may notice a difference in statistics. Please refer to the Differences in Reported Numbers Between SmarterStats Versions knowledge base article for more information.
- If you're utilizing UNC paths in your SmarterStats environment for log collection that have folder permission restrictions in place, please take note of the account that the SmarterStats collection service is running under within the Windows Services console. When performing the uninstall\reinstall the SmarterStats service is re-registered and will be running under the local system account. This will need to be reset, otherwise access to the UNC paths may become unavailable and prompt the site with a permissions error.
- Before following the instructions in this article, make sure the appropriate Microsoft .NET Framework is installed for the version to which you will be upgrading, based on the version's System Requirements.
The upgrade process for SmarterStats is very, very simple:
- Download the most recent automated installer from the SmarterStats Download Page of the SmarterTools website.
- Back up your SmarterStats installation and data. This is simply a precaution.
- Uninstall your current version of SmarterStats using Add/Remove Programs. Only system files are uninstalled -- no data files are touched during this.
- Stop the SmarterStats site in IIS and its associated App Pool.
- Run the SmarterStats installer.
- During the installation process you will be prompted for the installation path. Install along the existing file path to keep data and settings. (The default installation location is C:\Program Files\SmarterTools\SmarterStats.)
- Once the upgrade finishes, simply restart the SmarterStats site IIS and its associated App Pool.
Copyright © SmarterTools Inc. All rights reserved.