Knowledge Base Overview
The knowledge base is a tool companies can use to share information with employees,
customers and partners. In its simplest form, SmarterTrack's knowledge base is
an online repository of articles that helps agents and customers solve issues quickly
and efficiently. A well-organized knowledge base can save organizations money by
decreasing the amount of employee time spent trying to find information about company
products, policies, and/or procedures. As a customer service tool, a knowledge base
can give customers easy access to information that would otherwise require a phone call, live chat or email ticket.
To access the knowledge base, log into the management interface with your agent account. Then click on the Knowledge Base icon.
The knowledge base section of the management interface is divided into 3 areas: navigation pane, content pane and preview pane. By default, SmarterTrack will display knowledge base articles for all brands. However, agents can review articles for a specific brand by selecting it from the brands dropdown at the top of the navigation menu.
Navigating the Knowledge Base
In the navigation pane, you can select the articles that are shown on the screen. The following views are available under the Knowledge Base area of the navigation pane:
- All - Managers and administrators will be able to see all articles in the knowledge base, regardless of their status or to whom they're assigned.
- Assigned to Me - Lists the articles that are assigned to the agent logged in.
- Drafts - Lists all articles flagged as drafts.
- Review - Lists all articles flagged for review.
- Moderation - Lists all articles that have unmoderated user feedback.
- Stale - Lists all articles that have reached their stale date. The timeframe for when articles become stale is set in the Management Interface settings.
- Broken Links - SmarterTrack scans articles for any broken internal or external links. This lists all articles that contain broken links.
- Advanced Search - Allows for a more advanced search of all knowledge base articles.
- By Agent - Lists all agents who have articles assigned to them.
In the Folders area of the navigation pane, a list of all existing folders will be available. Folders can be created for products, issue types or in any other way to keep your articles organized and easy to access, both for customers and for agents. Click on the folder or subfolder and the articles within that folder will load in the content pane. For more information on organizing articles by folder, please see Managing Knowledge Base Folders.
In the content pane, the list of articles can be found. In general, the following details can be seen for each article in the list:
- Article Title - The title of the article.
- Folder - The location of the article.
- Language - The language(s) assigned to the article. When portal visitors select a different language for the portal, the articles that have been assigned to that language will appear in the knowledge base.
- Flags - Whether the aricle is flagged as draft, private or for review.
Performing Knowledge Base Actions
In general, the following options are available from the content pane toolbar:
- New - Creates a new knowledge base article in the selected folder or with the selected flag. For example, if Drafts is selected in the navigation pane, clicking New will open a compose window that has been marked as a Draft.
- Actions - Click this button and select the appropriate option to select all
articles, move articles, copy articles or change the status of articles.
- Select All - Selects all knowledge base articles in the content pane.
- Delete - Deletes the selected knowledge base articles. For more information,
see Deleting Knowledge Base Articles.
- Mark - Click this button and select the appropriate option to change the
status of the selected article(s).
- Private - Marks the article as private. Private articles are only visible
to administrators and managers/agents and are great for internal guidelines, policies, troubleshooting steps or any other information needed by agents and managers.
- Draft - Marks the article as a draft. Drafts are only visible to administrators
and agents. Draft articles are those that are essentially finished but are still awaiting review and/or revision prior to making them public or private.
- Review - Flags the article for review. Agents typically flag an article
for review when they want the article edited for content, clarity, or grammatical
- Featured on Portal - This flag will highlight an article so that it appears listed under the folder name on the Knowledge Base main page.
- Move - Moves the selected article(s) to another folder.
- Copy - Copies the selected article(s) to another folder.
- Transfer - Transfers responsibility for the article to a new agent.
- Rescan All for Broken Links - Initiates a scan of all articles for any broken URLs or links to external and/or internal content.
- Sort - Sorts the list of articles in ascending or descending order based on the selected option, such as subject, helpfulness, last reviewed, etc. Clicking on Reset Sort Order will return the sort order to its default status.
- View - Refresh - Click this button to force a refresh of the articles.
(c) 2002-2022 SmarterTools Inc.