Viewing Live Chat
To view a live chat, simply click the desired chat and it will display in the preview
pane. If you would rather view the chat in a popup window, double-click the chat
instead. Note: Agents can also configure SmarterTrack so that new chats automatically
open in a popup window when they are received. For more information, see
In general, the following options are available from the preview pane toolbar:
- End Chat - Ends the live chat session.
- Take - Allows an agent to take a live chat, either from the queue or from another agent, and begin actively replying to the end user.
- Transfer - Transfer the live chat to another group or agent.
- Add - Click this button and select the appropriate option to add a comment,
task, file, time log, call log or other related item to the live chat.
- Comment - Adds a note or a resolution to the live chat. When an agent adds
a resolution to a chat, this information is stored in a searchable database that
can be used to quickly and efficiently resolve a live chat issue.
- Task - Attaches a new task to the live chat. When an agent adds a task to
a chat, this information is stored in the Related Items tab and appears in the Tasks
section of the management interface.
- Time Log - Attaches a new time log to the chat. When an agent adds a time
log to a live chat, this information is stored in the Related Items tab.
- Ticket - Attaches a new ticket to the chat. When an agent adds a time log
to a live chat, this information is stored in the Related Items tab.
- Related Item - Adds an existing ticket to the chat. When an agent adds an
existing item to a live chat, this information is stored in the Related Items tab.
- Actions - Click this button and select the appropriate option to perform
any manual events created for live chats.
- Insert Canned Reply - Allows the agent to choose from a list of canned responses.
To choose a canned response, simply double-click the desired response and it will
be automatically inserted in the live chat response.
- Spell Check - Allows the agent to check the spelling of the chat responses they're typing up prior to sending the response to the end user.
- Send File - Allows the agent to send a file, like a screenshot or a document, to the person they're chatting with.
- Email Transcript - Allows an email to be sent containing the text transcript of the conversation. Emails can only be sent to a single recipient.
- Assistance - Click this button and select the appropriate option to view
relevant knowledge base articles or ticket resolutions or to get assistance from
- Manual Event - If there are manual events set up for live chats, they will appear at the bottom of the Actions menu. Otherwise, 'No manual events available' will appear.
- Knowledge Base Articles - Displays a list of knowledge base articles that
may be related to the selected live chat. Agents can use search terms to find the
knowledge base article that best relates to the chat.
- Instant Message - Allows the agent to IM another agent, supervisor or administrator
that is logged into SmarterTrack. Using the Instant Message features allows an agent to get assistance from another agent, a supervisor or someone else within the company.
- Close - Closes the live chat. Note: If the live chat is active, clicking Close will close the active chat and disconnect the users. Therefore, it's not a good idea to close active chats without first ending the chat with the customer.
- Print - Allows the agent to print the information contained in the chat,
custom fields, and details tabs of the live chat. Note: If viewing the management
interface from a mobile device, this option may not be available.
Tabs within the Live Chat
Live chat information is organized within the following tabs:
- Conversation - This displays the text of the live chat as well as any custom fields being used.
- Comments - This tab displays any comments agents would like to note about
the chat or customer. Comments are only visible to agents.
- Attachments - This tab lists any files that were uploaded to the chat by
an agent or customer.
- Time Logs - This tab lists any time logs attached to the live chat.
- Related Items - This tab lists any tickets, time logs, tasks or files attached
to the ticket.
- Custom Fields - This tab includes any custom fields the administrator created
to help customize your company's chats. This information can be populated by a user,
an agent, or a third-party application (via the administrator).
- History - This tab summarizes any actions associated to the chat.
- Survey - This tab displays any completed surveys that are associated with the live chat, including their completion date and eventual rating. Users can double-click on the survey to bring it up in a new window.
Viewing User Details
In many instances you'll notice the user's email address has an underline when viewing a ticket. Clicking on an email address with an underline opens a pop-out window that allows you to all of the information SmarterTrack has gathered for that particular User. Much of this information can be added or edited in the Users and Organizations area, but much of it is gathered by SmarterTrack itself. The pop-out is comprised of a number of different tabs, including:
- Details - The Details tab displays a variety of data about the user. For example, the user's authentication method, their Time Zone, their preferred language and more.
- Contact Info - If the User has any detailed contact info, such as a website URL, home or work cell numbers, a company address, etc., it will be displayed here.
- Portal Settings - Details include whether a custom avatar is in use and approved, whether the User subscribes to Community posts automatically, etc.
- Roles - This displays the various Roles for the User.
- Custom Fields - If any Custom Field data is associated to the User, it will be displayed here.
- Comments - If any comments have been added to the User, they will be displayed. Comments can include details about their Organization, preferred methods of contact, etc.
- Tickets - This tab lists all of the tickets in the SmarterTrack system that have been submitted by the email address associated to this User. The ticket status, subject, the number of messages in the ticket thread, the agent assigned to the ticket and additional information is displayed. Agents can perform actions on these tickets such as viewing them, merging them with other tickets, etc. All of this information is pulled directly from SmarterTrack and it helps Agents get an overall picture of the number and nature of issues the User has reported. This is especially handy if a User has had a number of similar issues in the past -- they're easily accessible by an Agent from the Tickets tab.
- Live Chats - This tab lists all of the live chats in the SmarterTrack system that have been started by the email address associated to this User. The chat group, dated and time the chat was started, the chat queue time and additional information is displayed. Agents can perform actions on these chats such as viewing them, starting a ticket from a chat, etc. All of this information is pulled directly from SmarterTrack and it helps Agents get an overall picture of the number and nature of issues the User has reported. This is especially handy if a User has had a number of similar issues in the past -- they're easily accessible by an Agent from the Live Chats tab.
- Calls - This tab details the number of call logs that were created for the User. Information available includes the phone number of the User, the Group the call was created for, the call duration and more. Call logs can be viewed, tickets can be started from them and more.
- Survey - This tab details the surveys that the User has submitted. It includes the survey's name, its completion date, the associated item the survey was completed for, the survey score and more.
- Forms - If a user has submitted a form, or a number of forms, they will be displayed here.
- Statistics - The Statistics tab shows the User's activity over the course of several days. This includes the number of tickets, live chats, calls and time logs completed for the User in the Last 7 Days, Last 30 Days, Last 90 Days and All Time.
- History - This tab shows historical information such as the last time the User logged in to SmarterTrack, the last time they submitted a ticket, their last live chat, etc.
Coaching Agents During Live Chats
With SmarterTrack's included coaching functionality, other Agents and/or Managers can provide assistance to an Agent during active live chats "behind the scenes". This is a great way for organizations to aid in Agent training and efficiency, while ensuring the customer receives accurate information. For example, a Manager can participate with the Agent in real time, offering advice, reminding them of special sales or customer incentives, guiding a new Agent in ways to direct a conversation and more.
During a live chat, when an Agent or Manager views an ongoing chat they'll have the "Coaching" text box available to them. It displays to the right of the standard response window and has a background color to differentiate it. Typing inside that coaching area displays the contents of the message to the Agent, but not to the Customer. And, when the coaching message is sent, it appears inline with the rest of the chat so it's in front of the Agent, and they can even reply as needed.
(c) 2002-2022 SmarterTools Inc.