Creating News Items
To create a new news item article, click the New Item icon and select News Item. Alternatively, you can head to the News section and click on the New button. Regardless
of the method, a new news item window will open that the agent will use to create
The new news item window contains tabs for options, broken links, translations,
statistics and history, plus the compose tab, which the agent will use to write
The following fields will appear in the header of the news item window:
- Title - Type the title of the news item in this field.
- Date - The date the news item was created.
- Summary - Type a brief summary of the news item in this field. This summary text is automatically used to generate an SEO meta description tag for the article. This tag is an HTML attribute that provides a concise summary of the web page. These descriptions commonly appear underneath the blue clickable links in a search engine results page (SERP). Note: While there is a 256 character limit to news item summaries, we recommend keeping the summary under 160 characters, as search engines generally truncate snippets longer than 160 characters.
- Flags - To specify the status of the news item, select the appropriate checkbox(es).
For more information, see News Overview
- WYSIWYG Editor - The what-you-see-is-what-you-get (WYSIWYG) editor where the article is created.
Type the text of the news item in the large editing box below the news item header.
Agents can change the formatting using the WYSIWYG editor.
The following options are available in the options tab of the new article window:
- Language - To specify the language, select the appropriate language from
- Brands - To specify which brands the news item applies to, select the appropriate
Just as with knowledge base articles, SmarterTrack scans news items for any broken
internal or external links. The broken links tab lists all broken links in the news item.
The translations tab allows new or existing news items to be linked or unlinked to translations.
The statistics tab displays the number of unique views and hits a news item receives.
These statistics can be useful for determining the effectiveness and reach of news
items. If news items don't appear to receive many views it may be an indication
that more attention needs to be paid to the news features or to the portal itself
to ensure customers and end users know about them.
The history tab displays information such as the initial article creation date,
the agent who created the article, any changes or modifications to the article and
Note: Canonical tags are auto-generated for each News Item to help boost SEO strategies.
(c) 2002-2021 SmarterTools Inc.