Linking Email to Tasks
Email exchanges can often result in the need to create one or more tasks. For example,
an email exchange with a vendor may require updates to price sheets or shipping
requirements. Perhaps an email from a significant other mentions an upcoming birthday
or anniversary. Because of this, SmarterMail includes the ability to create a new
task right from within an email message. This is called "linking" an email message
to a task.
There are a couple of ways to add tasks to a message:
- First, you can open and view the desired message.
From the Message view, click the Actions menu and then select Add Task.
- Another way is to select the message in the All Messages view, then right click on the message and select "Add Task" from the context menu.
Follow these steps to generate and link a task from an email message:
- Log into SmarterMail as a user.
- Click the Email icon.
- Go to your Inbox, or whichever folder contains the email message you wish to link to a task.
- Select the message.
- Click on the Actions (...) button.
- From the dropdown menu, select Add Task.
- A new window will pop out. In it, you can create the Task by filling out the pertinent details. Once you click Save, the task is created and automatically assigned to the email.
- On the email itself, a new Tab will appear, called Tasks. On that tab is a brief overview of the task that was associated to the message, including the task's title, start and due dates. Clicking on those details will pop out the task details.
- Once the task is saved, a new Tasks tab will display in the message indicating that you successfully linked the task to the email.
Regardless of which method you choose, a new task window will open where you create the actual task. Once the new task
has been saved, a tasks card will display at the bottom of the message. Clicking
on this card will allow you to see the task that is linked to the message. You can also go to the Tasks Section of SmarterMail to view all tasks.
Finding Messages with Linked Tasks
To quickly view all messages that are linked to tasks, expand the Sorting menu in the All Messages view and select Linked to Tasks.
Your messages will sort, placing the messages that are linked to tasks at the top of the list.
(c) 2002-2021 SmarterTools Inc.