Adding New Users
Whether starting with a brand new domain, or managing a domain that's been around for awhile, one of the duties of a Domain Administrator is adding in new Users.
Just a few pieces of information are needed in order to add a User. Once this information is provided, Domain Administrators can then adjust any configuration settings for the User or they can simply rely on the User Defaults that have been set up.
Adding a new user and editing an existing user both deal with the same settings. To create a new user, simply click on the New button. The following initial options will be available:
- Username - The identifier the user uses to login to SmarterMail. This is the portion of the email address that comes before the domain name. For example, the "jdoe" part of email@example.com.
- Authentication Mode - The authentication method used to login to SmarterMail. By default, SmarterMail will use its included username/password authentication. However, SmarterMail can also be integrated with customers using Microsoft Windows Active Directory for their corporate logins. For information on Active Directory integration, visit the SmarterTools Knowledge Base.
- Active Directory Username - If Active Directory is selected for the Authentication Mode, this field will appear. Enter the Active Directory username to authenticate against for Active Diretory authentication.
- Domain - If Active Directory is selected for the Authentication Mode, this field will appear. Enter the Domain to authenticate against for Active Diretory authentication.
- Password - If SmarterMail is selected for the Authentication mode, this field will appear. Enter the password this user will use to log into their account.
- Confirm Password - If SmarterMail is selected for the Authentication mode, this field will appear. Confirm the password this user will use to log into their account.
- Force password change at next login - Enable this setting to require the user to set a new password the first time they log in to the SmarterMail web interface.
After the initial creation of a new user, and when editing an existing user, the following options will be available:
(c) 2002-2021 SmarterTools Inc.