System Administrators can quarantine outgoing messages that have been flagged as spam by SmarterMail's spam checks for a maximum of 30 days. Quarantining such messages allows administrators to investigate why certain messages are blocked as spam and make appropriate adjustments, if necessary. In addition, system administrators can easily resend any outgoing messages that should not have been quarantined.
To view a list of quarantined spam messages, log into SmarterMail as a System Administrator and click on the Manage icon. Click on Spool in the navigation pane, then click on the Spam Quarantine tab. Messages that have been flagged and quarantined by SmarterMail's antispam measures (including the Message Sniffer or Cyren Premium Antispam add-ons, if enabled) will be listed. The following details can be seen for each entry:
- File Name - The unique name of the EML file on the hard disk of the SmarterMail server.
- Date - The date and time the message was flagged for quarantine.
- Sender - The email address that initially sent the email.
- Recipients - The number of delivered/total recipients.
- Size - The total size of the message on the hard drive, in kilobytes.
- Attempts - The number of delivery attempts that have been made.
- Time in Spool - The amount of time the message has been quarantined.
- Time of Removal - The date and time message will be automatically removed from quarantine and permanently deleted.
To view the contents of a message or its intended recipients, click on the entry's row. The email will load in a popup window.
The following actions can be taken on selected entries using the Actions (...) button:
- Resend - Moves the selected message(s) to the spool for delivery to its intended recipients.
- Delete - Remove the selected message(s) from the quarantine list.
- Move Messages - Moves the location of the selected message(s) from the general email directory to a new path on the server. Use the default path provided or enter any folder path on the server. Moving the .eml files to their own folder on the server is useful because it allows an administrator to review the messages before taking actions against them.
- Download EML - Allows you to download the raw EML file for the message.
- Spam Quarantine settings can be managed from the Antispam section. To access this page, click on the Settings icon. Then click on Antispam in the navigation pane. Make sure the Options tab is highlighted. The quarantine settings can be found on the SMTP Blocking card. For more information, refer to the Antispam page.
- Spam Quarantine and Virus Quarantine tabs will only load a maximum of 5,000 messages combined. (E.g., 2,000 Spam Quarantine items displayed and 3,000 Virus Quarantine items displayed - together they'll never show more than 5,000 messages). That means that if the two numbers add up to 5000, it's very likely there are MORE than the number of individual emails for each Quarantine type than can be displayed. If there are, they will need to be reviewed/handled from within the appropriate directory on the server.
(c) 2002-2021 SmarterTools Inc.