Creating New Calendar Appointments
It's very easy to create a new calendar appointment in SmarterMail:
- Tap the New button,
- Click on the New (+) icon and select Appointment, or
- Tap on the day/time you want to create the event in your calendar. Alternatively, you can tap anywhere in your calendar, then change the day/time as needed.
Regardless of how you decide to do it, creating a new event pops-out the new event window.
Saving Appointment Details
When you add a new appointment to your calendar, you can save as much or as few details about the appointment as you like. In general, appointment details are handled by a few different cards:
The Appointment card carries the actual details of the appointment or event you're creating. It can be a lunch or dinner, a meeting, an anniversary or birthday, or virtually any other type of event you want to keep organized in your calendar. To create an Event, you will need to include the following information. Note: The Subject, Start and End dates are the only fields required to save an appointment.
- Subject - The subject is the friendly name for the event you're creating, such as "Lunch with Joan" or "Weekly Marketing Meeting".
- Location - This is where the event will be taking place. The location can be a room or building, an address, or even some descriptive text, such as "via Webex". Regarding "Conference Room" versus "Location", these are mutually exclusive, yet compatible fields. That said, while the Location is something you enter on your own, the Conference Room will be a shared resource that was set up by your Domain Administrator.
- All Day Appointment - Enable this if the appointment you're creating will last the entire day. When enabled, the Appointment will move to the very top of your calendar list when viewing in Week or Day view. On Month view, it will be the first Appointment shown for the specific day.
- Show Time Zones - Enable this setting to allow yourself the ability to create Appointments in a time zone different than your own. When enabled, a Time Zone drop down appears beneath the Start and End dates for the Appointment, allowing you to set the proper day and time based on the Time Zone selected.
- Start and End Dates and Times - A Start Date is required to save the event. By default, Events start as the current date and time and end 1 hour later. These fields are fully customizable.
- Recurrence - Use this setting to set how often this particular appointment will occur: Once, Daily, Weekly, Monthly or Yearly. NOTE: When setting the End date for a recurring Appointment, SmarterMail, Outlook for Mac, and eM Client all treat the "end by" date as the LAST day that a recurring instance can happen. However, Mac Mail seems to treat it as the first day that the recurrence cannot happen. That means in Mac Mail, the last occurrence of that event will be the day BEFORE the date you put in the "End By" area in SmarterMail. You will want to take that into consideration when creating recurring appointments
Attendees are the people you want to invite to your event. When adding Attendees, each will receive an event invitation that they can either accept or reject. You will receive notifications back regardless of whether attendees accept or reject the invitations. To add attendees, simply start typing their email address. SmarterMail will suggest contacts from your various contact lists, including the Global Address List (GAL), as well as cycle through contacts you have listed in categories. You can finish typing the address or select the proper address from the options available.
As for whether an invitee is available or not, once you've added in one or more attendees, you can click the "View Availability" button. This will let you know whether attendees are available on the day and time you're planning your event. In addition, if a conference room was reserved for an event, when clicking on that room reservation in your calendar you can see who reserved the room. Generally, this will correspond to the organizer of the corresponding event. NOTE: Availability is only offered for users of the same domain as the event organizer. External domains, as well as information for users of free email services such as Gmail or Office365, is not accessible.
This space is used for details about the meeting: Agenda items, web conferencing log-in details, etc. Anything typed in the Description will also be added to the appointment so attendees can see the detail as well. The description card uses an HTML editor so that items like hyperlinks can be included.
- Source - Use the dropdown menu to select which calendar the event is for. The default calendar can be chosen in Calendar Settings.
- Conference Room - If your Domain Administratator has added any shared resources, like conference rooms, the list of rooms will be available in this dropdown. Just as with attendee availablity, if a conference room is already reserved for a specific day and time an Event is to be set, this information will display in the Conflicts field of the new appointment window. Conference room availablity will also show when users click the View availability button on the Attendees card.
- Availability - Here you can set your own availability - either Busy or Free. Setting your status as Busy will be reflected if others within your Global Address List try inviting you to their own events.
- Reminder - Setting a reminder will make a notification window appear in webmail at whatever reminder interval you set. Reminders are also synced to any email or calendar app you have synced to your SmarterMail account.
- Email Notification - Enabling this will send an event reminder to the organizer's email address based on the time interval set by the reminder. This email is in addition to the notification in webmail or any synced client.
- Private event - This setting can be used for those who share their calendar with other users. Events marked as private will only be shown to those with Full Access. Those with Availability-Only or Read-Only permission will instead see "Busy Time" and cannot view appointment details.
A category provides a way to organize your Events into manageable groups. To add a category, simply enable it.
(c) 2002-2021 SmarterTools Inc.