Reading Email Messages
SmarterMail displays whether you have unread email in your
inbox, or in any folders -- even shared folders -- a number of different ways. Note: The first three notification
types are demonstrated in the diagram on the Email Overview page.
- The number displays in the Email icon.
- The number displays next to its folder. (E.g., Inbox)
- A number appears in the browser tab, surrounded by parentheses.
- Unread messages display as bold in the All Messages view.
- A new message notification, also known as a "toast notification," will temporarily
display in the webmail interface.
To view the contents of a message, simply click the desired message and it will
open in the Preview Pane. You can also double-click the message and it will open
in a separate pop-up window. If you do NOT have a Preview Pane showing under or to the side of your messages list, double clicking the message is the only way to open it and read its contents.
Single Message Actions
In general, the following options are available when viewing a message, either within the webmail interface or when it's been popped out into a separate window:
- Delete - Selecting the Delete button will move the message to the Deleted Items folder. Note: This is
the default action taken when a message is deleted. Depending on your account settings,
the delete action may be different. For more information, see
Deleting Email Messages.
- Reply to a message - There are three (3) options when replying to a message:
- Reply - Selecting Reply means you will reply to the the sender only.
- Reply All - Selecting Reply All addresses a response to the sender and everyone else who received
the message. This includes all email addresses listed in the To and Cc fields, except
your own email address.
- Forward - Selecting Forward allows you to send the message to someone other that someone in the To and Cc fields. NOTE: It is also possible to add email addresses to the To and Cc fields when you Reply or Reply All to a message.
There are also several Actions that are available for any single message. These generally include:
- Move - Allows you to Move the Message to a Folder. When you select Move, you are prompted to select a Folder where you want the Message to be placed. Alternatively, you can select the message from the All Messages view and drag it to the folder of your choice.
- Downolad EML - This allows you to download a copy of the message as an EML file (the default file type for email messages) and save it to your desktop or other location using File Explorer. Multiple files can be downloaded, and they're saved as a .ZIP file. There is a 1GB limit per download.
- Add Task - Creates a new Task and links it to the message. For more information,
see Linking to Email Tasks.
- Print - Prints the message.
- Mark Read - Marks the message as Read.
- Mark Unread - Leaves the message in an unread status.
- Flag - Marks the message for follow up.
- Unflag - Removes the follow up from a message.
- Mark Spam - Marks the message as spam and moves it to the Deleted Items folder.
- Mark Not Spam - Marks the message as not spam and automatically adds the email address to your trusted senders list. This Action only appears for messages in the Junk Email folder.
- Trust Sender - Adds the address to your Trusted Senders list, meaning any future emails from this address will bypass most antispam options enbaled for the server. (NOTE: SPF and DKIM still run against any address in the Trusted Senders list to prevent phishing.)
- Block Sender - Prevents the sender of the selected message(s) from sending any more messages to the account.
- Unblock Sender - Removes the sender's email address from your Blocked Senders list.
- View Text - Removes any HTML formatting and displays the message a "text only."
- View Raw Content - Allows you to view the message in its raw, unformatted state and includes the header of the message. Viewing the raw content or just the header can assist with diagnosing potential issues with viewing the message.
- View Header - Only displays the message's header information, which includes items such as the message ID, the message's content type, etc.
Viewing Remote Content
Remote content is considered to be any image, video, animated gif, etc. that has an external source and is contained in an email. When remote content is included in an email, that content is hidden by default and must be manually displayed. Clicking on Show will display the remote content for that specific email. Once this has been done, the remote content will be displayed on that email going forward. Clicking on Always show images from [email] will add an exception for that email address to the Remote Content Exceptions list, which is found in your Account Settings. When an exception has been made for an email address, emails from that sender will display all remote content automatically. Note: Emails from Trusted Domains and Trusted Senders will always display remote content automatically.
To allow remote content to be automatically displayed from all senders and sources, enable the Show images from external websites setting in your Account Settings.
Downloading Email Attachments
If a message has any attachments, a paperclip will display in the Messages List for that message. In addition, an attachments tab will display under the message header in the preview pane. SmarterMail displays the file name of the attachment as well as its file size. It also displays, where possible, a preview of the attachment as an icon. Generally, this will only happen when an attachment is an image file. Other file types will display a more generic icon. Attachments are downloaded individually by simply clicking on the attachment. However, it is also possible to download all attachments in one convenient ZIP file.
(c) 2002-2022 SmarterTools Inc.